Carnival of the Liberals — February 2010
DID the American Dream ever exist? We are subjects to a bloodthirsty and heedless security state that seems to become more and more paranoid each day. The craven power seekers who control the reigns of government most faithfully represent interests at odds with even the most basic needs of the people. And while most people seem to recognize and abhor this situation, for the most part they divide into fanatical mobs and turn their ire on each other.
Did the American Dream ever exist, or was it always just a nostalgic figment of our shared experience in The Spectacle? The divisions, the rationalizations, the willful compromises of the power seekers at the expense of the people they ostensibly represent seem to have always been thus. The same false rationalizations that endure today, our very founding principles.
This is the February edition of Carnival of the Liberals.
Here again are the links and credits:
- Red Queen presents About those boot straps posted at Elizabitchez
- Charles Davis presents ‘If only I’d authorized torture instead of jaywalking’ posted at false dichotomy by charles davis
- BDR presents To a Place Beneath the Chin I Wish I Could Sing Of posted at BLCKDGRD
- LarryE presents Turn your head and cough posted at Lotus – Surviving a Dark Time
- Chuck Dupree presents Bad Attitudes: State Farm Is There Until You Need Them posted at Bad Attitudes
- Mel presents Collaborating Across the Divide posted at BroadSnark
- J.R. Boyd presents Introducing the spectacular Sarah Palin posted at ladypoverty
- David Waldstreicher presents The Return of Staughton Lynd posted at History News Network, (nominated for the carnival by Leo Lincourt.)
- Luke Geraghty presents Why Hillary Would Make An Excellent President posted at Luke Geraghty.com
- Madeleine Begun Kane presents Sarah Palin’s Runny, Run-On Sentences Finally Explained posted at Mad Kane’s Political Madness
Continue reading for a list of the remaining submissions.
Jasmine Smith presents 10 Myths (& Facts) About the Massachusetts Healthcare Model posted at Masters in Healthcare .org.
Elisha Knackwood presents 25 Essential Free iPhone Apps for Journalists and Bloggers posted at Journalism Degree, saying, “While some of the most useful iPhone apps already come installed — including the Safari Web browser, camera, maps and voice memos — journalists and bloggers often need more apps to be on the cutting edge of any news story.”
Doctor Biobrain presents Obama’s Radical Do-Nothing Congress posted at And Doctor Biobrain’s Response Is…, saying, “I just wanted to say that you’re one of the best bloggers doing the carnival this month. It’s an honor to have you read my material, I’m sure. Keep up the good work.”
Innocent Smith presents Bogus Numbers, but a Legitimate Point posted at The Innocent Smith Journal, saying, “This post discusses a poster claiming that 58 deaths are caused by lack of health care in the US per year for every death caused by terrorism globally. I debunk this claim, but argue that the poster’s underlying message — that the US should allocate fewer dollars to military spending and more to health care — is correct.”
Katie Freeman presents 10 Excellent Infographics to Learn About the U.S. Healthcare System posted at Master Of Health Administration, saying, “It is rather easy to conclude that in order to have any useful contribution to the raging health care debate, you must have a firm understanding of the U.S. Healthcare System. With this in mind, we’ve found 10 excellent infographics that can help illuminate some of the problems with the current system, as well as how the current system is set up, and what some proposed changes might mean.”
Divinelysmile presents The Gender Gap: 10 Surprising Stats on Women in the Workplace posted at JobProfiles.org – Job Descriptions and Online Schools to Start Your Career.
Roxanne Mcann presents You can soon expect full body scanners when traveling by commercial air. posted at XRAY Technician Training.
Ron Britton presents Imagine How Much They’d Spend if They Weren’t “Conservative” posted at Bay of Fundie.