- Create a dizzyingly complex if not completely incomprehensible prescription drug plan.
- Create a subsidy program to help poor people pay for the dizzyingly complex if not completely incomprehensible prescription drug plan.
- Estimate that 7 million people will be eligible for your subsidy.
- Send out, unsolicited, 19 million applications for your subsidy to people. Carpet-bomb the fuckers with applications.
- Start processing applications and reject three out of four.
- Don’t worry that 24 short days before your drug plan begins only 661,000 of those eligible for your subsidy have been enrolled.
- Leave it to private advocacy groups, the press and blogs with less than five readers* to try to get the word out about your subsidy.
Now it will be The Poor’s own fault if they can’t afford drugs. Mission accomplished!
*Seriously, if you know anybody who meets the following criteria tell them about the subsidy:
To qualify for the low-income subsidy, beneficiaries must have incomes below 150 percent of the federal poverty level — $14,355 for a senior living alone, $19,245 for a couple. There also is a limit on assets: $11,500 for an individual and $23,000 for a couple. The actual amount of the drug subsidies provided to these beneficiaries varies based on their income and assets, but it averages $2,100.